Fabian Große studied Physical Oceanography at the Institute of Oceanography at Universität Hamburg and received his Diploma (equivalent to MSc) in July 2012. From an early stage of his studies he got involved in the Marine Ecosystem Modelling Group at the Institute of Oceanography, contributing to the group's work as a student assistant from 2009–2012. This work awoke his strong interest in physical-biochemical interactions in the marine system, which he fostered by attending Meteorology and Biological Oceanography as minor and elective subjects, respectively. In his Diploma thesis, he investigates the influence of winter convection on primary production in the Northeast Atlantic Ocean using the biogeochemical model ECOHAM.
After receiving his Diploma degree, which was awarded 2nd prize in the Partnerstädtepreis 2012 ('Twin Cities Award') of the Centrum für Erdsystemwissenschaften und Nachhaltigkeit (CEN), he got employed as research assistant in the Scientific Computing (WR) Group at the Department of Informatics at Universität Hamburg in August 2013. There, he could continue his research in the field of marine biogeochemical modelling.
In October 2013, he started his PhD in Earth System Science at Universität Hamburg. His primary field of research is the biogeochemical modelling of the North Sea in relation to eutrophication and its concomitants. More specifically, he investigates the influence of riverine nitrogen inputs on the oxygen dynamics and oxygen deficiency in the North Sea. His work is strongly related to the eutrophication management of the North Sea within the frame of OSPAR, and the EU Water Framework Directive (WFD) and Marine Strategy Framework Directive (MSFD).
- Parameterising primary production and convection in a 3D model, Fabian Große (Diploma Thesis), Advisors: Jan O. Backhaus, Johannes Pätsch, 2012-05-16, BibTeX
- Looking beyond stratification: a model-based analysis of the biological drivers of oxygen deficiency in the North Sea (Fabian Große, Naomi Greenwood, Markus Kreus, Hermann Lenhart, Detlev Machoczek, Johannes Pätsch, Lesley A. Salt, Helmuth Thomas), In Biogeosciences, Series: 13, pp. 2511–2535, (Editors: Veronique Garçon), Copernicus Publications (Bahnhofsallee 1e, 37081 Göttingen, Germany), 2016
BibTeX URL DOI
- Looking beyond stratification: a model-based analysis of the biological drivers of oxygen depletion in the North Sea (Fabian Große, Naomi Greenwood, Markus Kreus, Hermann Lenhart, Detlev Machoczek, Johannes Pätsch, Lesley A. Salt, Helmuth Thomas), In Biogeosciences Discussions, Series: 12, pp. 12543–12610, Copernicus Publications (Bahnhofsallee 1e, 37081 Göttingen, Germany), 2015
BibTeX URL DOI
- The influence of winter convection on primary production: A parameterisation using a hydrostatic three-dimensional biogeochemical model (Fabian Große, Christian Lindemann, Johannes Pätsch, Jan O. Backhaus), In Journal of Marine Systems, Series: 147, pp. 138–152, Elsevier Science Publishers B. V. (Amsterdam, The Netherlands), ISSN: 0924-7963, 2015
BibTeX URL DOI
- Report on “Distance to Target” Modelling Assessment by ICG-EMO (Hermann Lenhart, Xavier Desmit, Fabian Große, David Mills, Geneviève Lacroix, Hans Los, Alain Ménesguen, Johannes Pätsch, Tineke Troost, Johan van der Molen, Sonja van Leeuwen, Sarah Wakelin), Reports of OSPAR ICG-EMO Working group, OSPAR Commission (London, United Kingdom), 2012
- Validation tool for analyzing vertical profile data of one state variable (valpro1var) by comparison to merged observational data sets and their preparation (OBS_prep): description and user guide (Fabian Große, Andreas Moll), Technical report (11(1)), University of Hamburg, Institute of Oceanography (Hamburg, Germany), 2011
- A new post-processing tool for the source-related element tracing in biogeochemical models: A case study for the North Sea (Fabian Große, Markus Kreus, Johannes Pätsch), EGU General Assembly 2015, Viena, Austria, 2015-04-14
- Parameterising Primary Production and Convection in a 3D Model (Fabian Große, Johannes Pätsch, Jan O. Backhaus), 45th International Liège Colloquium, Liège, Belgium, 2013-05-16
- Parameterising Primary Production and Convection in a 3D Model (Fabian Große, Johannes Pätsch, Jan O. Backhaus), YouMaRes 3.0 2012, Lübeck, Germany, 2012-09-14